It is a big investment to purchase a wig. Storing your wig correctly and with the proper care will help to preserve and ensure that it will continue to look its best for years to come.
Here are a few tips for wig storage to keep your wig looking fabulous, whether it is made from human or synthetic hair.
This blog will summarize practical wig storage methods in order to find a method that works for you. Having a difficult time finding the best way to store your wigs? This blog is for you!
WIG STORAGE OPTIONS:
- Use the box it came in. They are stackable and labeled, making it easier for you to grab one and go.
- If the original wig box is not available, fold your wig in half from ear to ear, insert it into a clean, plastic bag, and put tissue inside the wig cap to help it hold shape. (This is also an easy way to travel with your wigs and save space.)
- Wig stands are convenient if you tend to rotate your wigs often.
- Invest in an over-the-door shoe rack to store and organize multiple wigs.
- You can also invest in airtight plastic containers for your wig collection. Be sure to label them with the names and colors of each wig that is stored inside.
- Wig cases and wig boxes are also great storage alternatives if you require a more professional look.
WHAT ABOUT WIG STANDS AND BLOCKS?
Wig stands and blocks may definitely be used. However, both rely on the individual’s available space, personal preference and resources.
- Collapsible wig stands are great and use little space. They are also great for travel. Wig stands are also helpful for styling because they let the wig fall naturally, making it easier to style.
- Styrofoam wig heads are lightweight, affordable and will help keep the wig’s shape. However, they do require more space than wig stands and are too bulky for travel.
- Canvas heads can also be used for wig storage. They are heavier and bigger than the Styrofoam and collapsible wig stands. Pay attention to the sizing because using a canvas head that is too large will stretch the wig cap. This type of wig head takes up a lot of space, costs more than the others, and are not very travel friendly.
Here is a list of things to remember when storing your wigs.
- Always make sure the wig you are storing is clean.
- Make sure the wig is completely dry and there are no tangles.
- Invest in good-quality hairnets to maintain the wig style.
- Keep them away from heat and direct sunlight. Heat and sunlight will dull your color and break down hair fibers.
- If storing on wig stands/heads, make sure they are protected from dust, pets, and children.
- Keep wigs safe from children and pets.
Your friends at AmidBeauty.com